Thanks for your interest in volunteering for St Joseph’s Hospice!
We have a lot of work to do in caring for our patients, their families and carers and we rely on volunteers to help us in many ways. Approximately 500 generous volunteers give their time and skills to support our work, carrying out a wide range of roles; from support & companionship, to helping in the gardens.
We have tasks to suit everyone whatever your skills or interests…
Patient care is at the heart of what we do at St Joseph’s Hospice and volunteers, by each bringing their own unique talents and skills, play an important role across all of the many services we provide.
If you would like to join our fantastic team of volunteers, take a moment to explore our current opportunities and the variety of ways you can make a difference to the lives of our patients and community members:
We don't accept general volunteering applications so please read the role descriptions and state which specific role you are interested in when applying!
Can’t currently see a role you’re interested in? We post new roles all the time, so keep checking our website for updates!
What are the benefits of volunteering?
There are many benefits to volunteering which explains why most of our volunteers have been helping us for years. By helping us to help others, you could:
Support people who have a long-term condition or a terminal illness
Meet new people and make new friends
Feel valued and be part of a team
Help busy members of staff
Learn new skills to add to your CV
Move towards making a career change
- Share your specialist skills with others.
Whether you’re retired, on a sabbatical or can only help a few hours per week, volunteering at St Joseph’s Hospice is easy.
What do I need to know before applying?
The volunteer commitment: We ideally expect that you would be able to commit to a minimum of six months volunteering. The role you are interested to do will depend on how many hours that might be, depending on your schedule and availability. Depending on your role, this may include attending group supervision & support or practice development meetings.
This is to ensure that volunteering at St Joseph’s is a meaningful experience and mutually beneficial relationship for patients, community members & volunteers.
Not got the time? Take look at our fundraising & one-off event roles.
The Volunteer Journey:
1. View our current opportunities, select a role & apply online.
2. Attend an Information Session: Find out more about the work of St Joseph’s Hospice and go on a tour of our community spaces. Sessions last for two hours and are held twice a month.
The third Monday of every month: Morning
- The first Thursday of every month: Evening
3. Complete the vetting procedures: all roles require a personal reference from someone outside of your family. If you are applying to work with patients you will also need to complete a DBS check.
4. Arrange an informal interview: This is your chance to meet with someone from your chosen department so you can decide together if this is the role for you.
5. Attend a Volunteer Training Session: Depending on the role you apply for, this will be between one and 3 days in length. Training courses are held 4 to 6 times a year. For roles based in the community, please speak to your departmental contact (found on the role descriptions) for upcoming training dates.
6. You can now begin your volunteer role!
7. Ongoing support for volunteers: We offer our volunteers regular opportunities to come together and share and reflect on their experiences as well as engage in continued learning and development.
PLEASE NOTE: you will need to complete the above process within 3 months of applying. Please consider whether you can attend an info sessions and training date within the 3 month time limit before applying for a role:
ATTENDANCE IS BY INVITATION ONLY
TRAINING DATES FOR COMMUNITY ROLES:
Islington Bereavement Service: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Empowered Living Team: Email Ameena Rahman email@example.com
Compassionate Neighbours: https://www.stjh.org.uk/volunteer-opportunity/compassionate-neighbours
Namaste Care Service: Email the Volunteers’ Team: firstname.lastname@example.org