What is Namaste Care?
The word ‘Namaste’ means to ‘honour the spirit within’. Namaste Care is a support programme designed to improve the quality of life for people living with advanced dementia and their families. It offers person-centred care, social and emotional support through meaningful activities and sensory stimulation.
Our trained and supervised volunteers visit people regularly to provide Namaste Care in their own homes; in nursing and care homes; in hospitals; and in the hospice. No previous experience required for this very rewarding role – full training and support will be provided.
- giving hand massage
- making a memory box
- playing favourite music
- reading favourite books/poems
- encouraging gentle movement
Who can be a Namaste volunteer?
- a couple of hours per week available
- good listening, communication and empathy skills
- an interest in supporting people in your community who are living with dementia
- can commit to a minimum of six months active volunteering with the Namaste Care Service
All Namaste volunteers need to attend a two-day training course to prepare them for their role.
The next 2-day Namaste Volunteer Training course will take place in the Education Centre at the Hospice on: Tuesday 2nd and Wednesday 3rd August.
If you are interested in attending this training – or would like to find out more – please get in touch with the Namaste team on 020 8525 3165 or by email: email@example.com.
We keep in regular contact with our volunteers, not least through our monthly ‘Share and Reflect’ support meetings which are held at the Hospice. These meetings are an opportunity to meet up with other volunteers – as well as with the service coordinators – to share experiences and ideas and support each other. The meetings are really valuable, and are a part of the volunteer’s role. They are currently held on a Wednesday afternoon, from 4.30pm to 6pm.
How to volunteer
To become a Namaste volunteer you must be at least 18 years of age, and will need to go through a volunteer recruitment process. To do this you will need to:
- complete an online application form
- attend a Volunteering Information Session at the Hospice
- attend the Hospice volunteers core training day
- attend a two-day Namaste Volunteer training course
- attend an interview with a Namaste Care Coordinator
- provide two referees
- complete a DBS (criminal record) check
To talk to somebody about this role, contact the Namaste Care Team on 020 8525 3165.
“This is the most amazing, thoughtful and compassionate training day I have ever been to. Jo and Colette are so kind and highly experienced and I feel honoured to have met them. Everyone should attend this training day, you will leave glowing.”
“I am spellbound at the amount of information I’ve procured. Both Colette and Joanne were wonderful and I simply loved the sessions”
“Brilliant session. Passion and knowledge really came across throughout the day. Well-paced and kept order of the group.”