Volunteer with us
Thanks for your interest in volunteering for St Joseph’s Hospice!
We have a lot of work to do in caring for our patients, their families and carers and we rely on volunteers to help us in many ways. Approximately 500 generous volunteers give their time and skills to support our work, carrying out a wide range of roles; from support & companionship, to helping in the gardens.
We have tasks to suit everyone whatever your skills or interests…
Patient care is at the heart of what we do at St Joseph’s Hospice and volunteers, by each bringing their own unique talents and skills, play an important role across all of the many services we provide.
If you would like to join our fantastic team of volunteers, take a moment to explore our current opportunities and the variety of ways you can make a difference to the lives of our patients and community members:
We do not except general volunteering applications so please read the role descriptions and state which specific role you are interested in when applying.
Can’t currently see a role you’re interested in? We post new roles all the time, so keep checking our website for updates!
What are the benefits of volunteering?
There are many benefits to volunteering which explains why most of our volunteers have been helping us for years. By helping us to help others, you could:
Support people who have a long-term condition or a terminal illness
Meet new people and make new friends
Feel valued and be part of a team
Help busy members of staff
Learn new skills to add to your CV
Move towards making a career change
- Share your specialist skills with others.
Whether you’re retired, on a sabbatical or can only help a few hours per week, volunteering at St Joseph’s Hospice is easy.
What do I need to know before applying?
The volunteer commitment: We ask that you be able to commit to a minimum of six months volunteering for at 5-6 hours a month. Depending on your role, this may include attending group supervision & support or practice development meetings.
This is to ensure that volunteering at St Joseph’s is a meaningful experience and mutually beneficial relationship for patients, community members & volunteers.
Not got the time? Take look at our fundraising roles such as Bucket Collector Champion & Events Squad
The Volunteer Journey:
View our current opportunities, select a role & complete an online application
1. Attend an Information Session: Find out more about the work of St Joseph’s Hospice and go on a tour of our community spaces. Sessions last for two hours and are held twice a month.
The third Monday of every month: Morning*
- The first Wednesday of every month: Evening*
*Subject to change.
2. Complete the vetting procedures: all roles require a personal reference from someone outside of your family. If you are applying to work with patients you will also need to complete a DBS check.
3. Arrange an informal interview: This is your chance to meet with someone from your chosen department so you can decide together if this is the role for you.
4. Attend a Volunteer Training Session: Depending on the role you apply for, this will be between one and 3 days in length. Training courses are held 4 to 6 times a year. For roles based in the community, please speak to your departmental contact (found on the role descriptions) for upcoming training dates.
5. You can now begin your volunteer role!
6. Ongoing support for volunteers: We offer our volunteers regular opportunities to come together and share and reflect on their experiences as well as engage in continued learning and development.
PLEASE NOTE: you will need to complete the above process within 3 months of applying. Please consider whether you can attend an info sessions and training date within the 3 month time limit before applying for a role:
ATTENDANCE IS BY INVITATION ONLY
TRAINING DATE (In-hospice roles only)
Thursday 11th January: Evening
Monday 22nd January: Morning
Thursday 1st February: Evening
Monday 19th February: Morning
Thursday 8th March: Day: 7hrs + lunch
Thursday 1st March: Evening
Monday 19th March: Morning
Thursday 5th April: Evening
Monday 16th April: Morning
Friday 11th May: Day: 7hrs + lunch
Thursday 3rd May: Evening
Monday 14th May: Morning
Thursday 7th June: Evening
Monday 18th June: Morning
Thursday 12th July: Day: 7hrs + lunch
Thursday 5th July: Evening
Monday 16th July: Morning
Thursday 2nd August: Evening
Monday 20th August: Morning
Saturday 15th Sept: Day: 7hrs + lunch
Thurs 6th September: Evening
Mon 17th September: Morning
Thursday 4th October: Evening
Monday 15th October: Morning
Thursday 1st November: Evening
Thursday 8th November: Day: 7hrs + lunch
THE ABOVE TRAINING DATES ARE FOR IN HOSPICE ROLES ONLY.
TRAINING DATES FOR COMMUNITY ROLES:
Islington Bereavement Service: email email@example.com
Empowered Living Team: Email Ameena Rahman firstname.lastname@example.org
Compassionate Neighbours: https://www.stjh.org.uk/volunteer-opportunity/compassionate-neighbours
Namaste Care Service: Email the Volunteers’ Team: email@example.com