Namaste Care Service Volunteer
Namaste Care is not a medical treatment, it is an internationally recognised programme developed to improve the quality of life for people with advanced dementia. It requires focus on the individual: their likes and dislikes and understanding them as person, supporting their individual needs. You will learn how to use both relaxing and stimulating sensory techniques and create personalised resources to use in supporting people with dementia living in their own homes.
Next Training Dates 10th & 11th April 2019
- Day 1: Wednesday 10th April 2019, 9.30am – 5pm
- Day 2: Thursday 11th April 2019, 9.30am – 5.30pm
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers who:
•Consistently treat people as unique and promote individuality
•Use clear and sensitive communication skills
•Have patience and empathy
•Are reliable, dependable and enthusiastic
•Are caring, sympathetic, have a sensitive manner and a non-judgemental approach
•Are respectful of confidential information
•Are able to volunteer without direct supervision
Volunteers interested in this opportunity need to:
- Be over 18 years of age
- Complete an interview and relevant criminal record checks
- Complete 2 days of Namaste training and our hospice induction
- Be willing to commit to an anticipated time of 2 hours per week for at least 1 year, to suit your availability and schedule.
- Be willing to attend supervision sessions for 1-2 hours each month to help you in your role
•New knowledge and skills
•Health related work experience
•Regular supervision / mentoring
•References provided after 6 months
•Opportunity to make a real difference to a patient’s life
• Out of pocket travel expenses paid at Oyster card rates for Zones 1-5
By volunteering in this role you will develop skills in:
•Person-centred dementia care
•Namaste Care approach
•Communication and active listening
•Psychological support and emotional resilience
•Managing difficult situations
You don’t need any previous experience, just good communication and listening skills, empathy and flexibility. Full training will be provided.
To talk to somebody about this role contact the Voluntary Services Team on 0208 525 6032.