Speech and Language Therapy can help with:
- Assessing any swallowing difficulties or changes in speech
- Diagnosing any problems and providing personalised support to help with management
- Providing advice, rehabilitation and suggested changes to food or drink
- Technology to help communication
- Expertise in planning for the future with communication aids
Criteria for referral
We can only accept patients who have an advanced, progressive and life-limiting illness, living in the boroughs of Tower Hamlets, City and Hackney or Newham. Patients from other boroughs can only access these services if they are receiving inpatient care at the Hospice.
We will assess whether the needs of the patient are best met by the Specialist Palliative Care Therapy Team at the Hospice or by existing community services.
Our Speech and Language Therapists are here two days a week and are available for inpatients and outpatients.
Referrals are made internally but please speak to the healthcare professional in charge of your care if you feel this service could help you.
To find out more about these services call the First Contact Team on 0300 30 30 400.
If you are finding it difficult to talk or swallow because of your illness, our Speech and Language Therapists are on hand to help. They can support you to improve your communication, eating, drinking, and decision-making.