Our occupational therapy team will work closely with you to help you improve your quality of life by supporting you to participate in daily life activities that are meaningful and purposeful to you.
We use a strong rehabilitation palliative approach, enabling independence in your daily activities, alongside adjusting to changes and losses that you may encounter as your condition progresses. We encourage earlier referrals so that you gain the greatest benefits from our service.
We can help you by:
- Assessing your functional needs and support you to set individual goals and priorities that are important to you
- Supporting you to manage your symptoms including breathlessness, pain and fatigue with non-pharmacological strategies
- Teaching you techniques including the use of assistive aids to improve your independence in daily activities during your stay and in preparation for when you return home
- Where appropriate, conducting an assessment of your home to recommend simple changes or aids to support your safe discharge
- Offering advice and training to your family/ carers to help support your needs
We offer our service to patients who are staying in the inpatient unit including Respite. Any member of staff in the Hospice can make an internal referral to our team or via the First Contact Team.
If you would like more information about our service please call the First Contact Team on 0300 30 30 400.