In certain circumstances, we will consider admitting a patient to the in-patient unit outside of normal working hours. Whether an admission is possible depends on bed availability and staffing levels as well as patient need. We will direct calls to the Hospice Doctor when necessary via our 24/7 support and advice line. Please call 0300 30 30 400.
The following criterion apply for emergency admissions:
- ideally the person should already be known to St Joseph’s Hospice
- they want to be admitted to the Hospice
- they have been assessed that night by the on-call GP
- the person is thought to be in the dying phase of their illness
- distress is at a level that cannot be managed at home.
For immediate life-threatening emergencies please call 999. Please note the hospice cannot do house calls.
To make an out-of-hour emergency referral contact our 24/7 helpline number 0300 3030 400. You will be directed to the consultant on call for St Joseph’s Hospice.
If you are a health professional and are worried that a patient who may benefit from an admission falls outside of these criteria, please ask to speak to the on call Hospice consultant.