Some hints and tips for Buckets Collections
• Get a good spot in the designated area. Try to keep within eyeshot of another collector, but don’t stand too close or cause an obstruction.
• Be fun and engaging – smile, make eye-contact and show enthusiasm. Be positive and, most importantly, enjoy yourself! It will rub off on those you are collecting from.
• If you’re not sure what to say, don’t worry! We have put together a list of phrases you can use in the “Suggested phrases” section below.
• Stickers – why not hand these out to people with small children?
• Keep it light and cheery - you will develop your own phrases as you go, and often they are the most natural and effective. Don’t be afraid to experiment (but keep it professional).
• Not everyone will respond well to a bucket collection. It's rare, but if you so encounter any hostility, just remember that you’re making a difference and giving up your time to represent St Joseph’s Hospice!
• Show gratitude – thank everyone. It means everyone, whether or not they donated, with a favourable impression of you and the hospice.
• If you are on social media don’t forget to tweet or post about us on Facebook and Twitter by using @StJoHospice.
• Finally, please do not put yourself or others at risk. In the unlikely event of someone trying to take your collection bucket - let them. Please then advise the collection organiser who will contact the police and the venue you're collecting at.
Have fun and be yourself!
- "Could you spare any change?"
- "I'm raising money for St Joseph's Hospice"
- "Support your local hospice"
- "All help gratefully recieved"
- "Your small change can make a big difference to us"