If you are:
- living with a serious illness?
- living in Newham, Tower Hamlets or Hackney?
- unable to do some physical activities you used to do?
- less independent than you would like to be?
- willing to take part in regular support sessions?
If the answer to these questions is YES, we may be able to help you.
What is the Empowered Living Team?
Run by St Joseph’s Hospice and a team of trained volunteers, the Empowered Living Team (ELT) supports people with serious conditions who are experiencing some or all of the following:
- reduced mobility
- difficulty managing daily activities
- falls related anxiety
- depression / anxiety / low mood / low motivation
The ELT can help you get more out of life through:
- supervising rehabilitation and exercise programmes
- helping you to self-manage your condition and symptoms
- providing techniques and advice for coping with breathlessness and fatigue
- helping you build confidence and motivation
- providing relaxation through massage, meditation and mindfulness
- offering companionship, emotional support and a listening ear
- helping you stay connected to friends and the community by helping you get out and about.
The ELT is managed by a senior physiotherapist, a rehabilitation assistant and an experienced community project manage from St Joseph’s Hospice.
All support is provided FREE of charge.
The ELT physiotherapist will visit you in your home and assess you to make sure you could benefit from this programme.
They will work with you to set goals and develop your own personal Empowerment Plan around the areas you would like to improve.
The team will then match you with a trained ELT volunteer and introduce you to them.
Your ELT volunteer will visit you once a week for one hour for the next eight weeks, at a time that suits you. They’ll work with you to help you meet the goals set on your Empowerment Plan.
Staff from St Joseph’s Hospice will revisit you to provide support and supervise your ELT volunteer.
To make a referral call: 0300 303 0400 (for referrals and 24/7 advice and support line)
We’re also looking for volunteers, click here to find out more.