Facts and figures
Some facts about us:
- St Joseph’s Hospice is one of the oldest and largest hospices in Britain.
- We are an independent charity and only receive 56% of funding from the NHS.
- We were founded in 1905 by the Religious Sisters of Charity and have been helping people affected by serious, life-limiting illness for over a hundred years.
- We don’t just care for patients, we also provide support for friends and family too.
- Our services are available to the 2.2 million people who live in the diverse communities of east and north-east London.
- Each year we care for more than 3,740 patients, both in the hospice and out in the community in patients' own homes.
- Each year we have around 3,240 outpatients visiting the hospice.
- We serve a vulnerable population including some of the most deprived boroughs in the country.
- We are an independent charity and all of our services are available completely FREE of charge.
- Each year we must raise over £15 million to continue providing our services to the people who need them … thanks for helping us get there!
- We have around 300 staff and 450 volunteers who help us deliver our services.
We rely on charitable donations and the support of our community. Here’s what your money could do………
|This could fund:|
|£1.84||a fan to keep a patient comfortable in hot weather|
|headphones to allow a patient to listen to music when they want|
|a box of syringes, used every day on the wards|
|a physiotherapist to work with a patient to help them become more mobile, manage breathlessness, fatigue and pain and have a better quality of life.|
|one of our bereavement counsellors to support family, friends and carers after the death of a loved one|
|one of our community nurses visiting a patient in their own home|
|a syringe driver to administer painkillers and medication to suppress nausea and vomiting|
|a specially adapted reclining armchair to make sure that patients can take part in activities in comfort.|